Computers, Lights and Electronics
- Customize your computer settings regarding sleep mode and power usageto increase efficiency and reduce energy waste.
- Utilize power strips to reduce the number of power outlets being used.
- Buy ENERGY STAR qualified equipment and appliances.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) in desk lamps when old bulbs burn out.
- Unplug electronics and power strips in your room when leaving over the weekend or breaks.
- Buy/request environmentally preferred products such as recycled paper, Energy Star appliances, environmentally friendly cleaning products, and compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Make double-sided copies and minimize printing when possible.
- Recycle ink cartridges, cell phones and batteries.
Waste and Recycling
- Utilize the correct recycling bins for your empty containers, paper, soda cans.
- Avoid using paper or plastic plates, cups, and utensils.
- Use wash cloths or rags instead of napkins or paper towels.
Personal Habits and Cleanliness
- Walk, bike, or ride the Metro instead of driving.
- Use the Ride Board when traveling far distances.
- Turn off the water when washing hands and brushing teeth.
- Bring a steel water bottle, mug, etc. to refill rather than purchasing plastic bottled waters.
- Use cold water as opposed to hot water when washing clothes. This reduces energy use, cold water works great unless you have a terrible stain!
- Save time, money and energy by leaving your clothes to dry inside your room on a line or drying rack. Try placing this rack in the sun (near a window), or near your heater (in winter months) to maximize the utility of sunlight and heat energy already being generated.
- Purchase environmentally friendly cleaning products to limit environmental impact when cleaning up surfaces, windows, etc. in rooms.
- Become involved in the Sustainability Club.
- Voice your concerns or suggestions to the RAs, Physical Plant, or Sustainability Office.
- Visit the Sustainability website to stay updated about sustainability at Xavier.
- Like the Sustainability Facebook page and follow Sustainability on Twitter (@GoGreenXU)
- Remember, the measurements represent the energy usage of the ENTIRE hall. Encourage your friends to do their part to help your hall save the most energy and win the competition!